Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Mv Blog culture

The last few weeks have been a strange time. I have gone through so many blogs by Maldivians on all sorts of topics. There are serious posts and some posts just for the sake of posting something. There are also posts for entertainment, keeping up-to-date on a given topic, sharing information with others, different hobbies, random reflections, personal musings and the like.

In terms of the Maldives culture, this shows that Maldivians are no different from any other country or community. There are people who have been bloggnig for quite some time and blogging is part of their daily life. And quite clearly there are Maldivians who have no idea what a blog is; and also there are those who know what it is and does not see any worth in it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mvblogs.org is a good place to look if you are interested in analysing the social dynamics the information culture has brought to the people.

and for the kind of study you are trying to do, you seem to not reveal much about yourself. some suspects you to be doing this research to aid the gov to help spread their propaganda and develop methods to impose more censorship.

anyway good luck.

Aminath Riyaz said...

Dear Anonymous,

I can assure you that I have no interest in promoting the existing government. I strongly believe that people should have access to a wide variety of information and that people should be equipped with the necessary education to make informed decisions based on their readings and world view.

I am quite new to the blogging and am really impressed with the amount of information sharing that has been going on the Mv blogsphere.

My sole purpose of this blog is to study the Maldives Information Culture, as it is the topic I chose for my research project here at Curtin Uni in Australia. Furthermore, it is not just a research topic for me. I have this belief that free flow of information is the very foundation of modern development. And I would like to contribute something, even if trivial in the wider schema of things, to the Maldives’ development.