Friday, September 21, 2007

Maldives History

Sitting here in Oz land, it really is difficult to get reading material on Maldives’ history. In fact, I was up last night trying to see if I can get my hands on any online documentation that talks about the reading, writing and learning habits of Maldives, today and yesterday.

And that is how I stumbled upon an article about a book called ‘Iyye’ (meaning Yesterday) about the history of some prominent political figures. Apparently, the book was considered defamatory to the national heroes and was banned from distribution by the government. Read more on ‘Banning scholarship in Maldives for 'peace and harmony' @ http://www.maldivesculture.com/maldives_censorship_history02.html

It apparently happened in 1997, which makes me wonder where I was, what I was doing, why I was not aware of it. ‘Cause I certainly was no longer a child then!!! Shows how ‘uninformed’ we are of the happenings in our own country (If anyone thinks I am the only ignorant soul – then I am just talking about myself)

“In many ways, the circumstances of this banning recall the events of 1997, when Abdul Hakeem's Iyye was confiscated within days of its release. Both Iyye and Dhandikoshi discussed in detail the twentieth century history of MalĂ© with reference to earlier periods, and the rule of the country's first President Mohamed Ameen. Iyye included a lengthy section on President Ibrahim Nasir.”

In Iyye, Abdul Hakeem Hussein Manik writes:

“Young Maldivians under the age of thirty are being misinformed. I embark on this work to clear away a tangle of obfuscation.”

I don’t know the gravity of that statement, but it would nevertheless be interesting to read it. The preface and introduction of the book is available on: http://www.maldivesculture.com/history/iyye_yesterday_maldives_history_intro.htm

I also happened to be directed to the following page: http://www.maldivesculture.com/histor01.html They have a wealth of information and I think it really is a good place to start to get a grasp of Maldives culture. Also make a point of reading what is available on Dhivehi Bahaa Thaareekhah Khidhumaiykuraa Gaumee Marukaz’s website: http://www.qaumiyyath.gov.mv/history.php
I would simply love to have all the time in the world to sit and just read forever!!!

No comments: